Monday, June 7, 2010

Who I'd bring to college with me

If I could bring one character from any book with me to college it would be Kurt Vonnegut. His words, observations, and philosophy intrigues me with its skillful critique of life. I think he would be better as a roommate since I'm still the kind of person to talk about pointless things, I don't think I could keep up with him intellectually all the time. Also, hearing his views may tire me out so I think a roommate is perfect. He would still be a friend, but he wouldn't be a super close friend, the type I would talk about gossip to.

The reason why I'd choose him is because, first of all, his philosophy on life. He can see all sorts of things in all different perspectives. I think that's increasingly interesting because at least you know he isn't incredibly bias. He shows his opinion of life through other characters, I think that's a good way of saying, "This is my opinion, it's not a fact, it's a opinion from different people." That personally reminds me of myself. I'm the sort of person to compare my perspectives to other things. I don't compare to the majority, I compare it to examples of the world. Maybe like characters that I make up. I mean, I enjoy comparing ideas to other similar ideas, sometimes that may seem unrelated like Kurt Vonnegut comparing war and aliens.

I think overall, he would've been an interesting person to talk to about anything. He's one of those people who question things, but he doesn't just question them, he finds some sort of explanation for it. Overall, having your opinions questioned and given suggestions helps develop your thought process, which is a key goal of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment