Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blog #2: American Icons

Pixar:
1. What does this Icon represent to you? Why?
Pixar is a 3D animation making group that branches off one of the biggest entertainment companies, Disney. Pixar has been one of the groups that has influenced me the most from childhood to now. I started out with their old works like "Toy Story" and evolved to more current work like"Ratatoille". Not only do they have high quality animated movies, they also stretch themselves to many different themes. Their movies are very specific and just complex enough to be interesting and not confusing. Each animation is filled with beautiful scenery, in depth characters, and a remarkable use of digital movement and animation.

3. How did this Icon become important in American culture?
Pixar has influenced many future animators, I, being an example. The work they produce is an insight into what can be accomplished with 3D programs today. They can push themselves out into the media and have Disney to back them up. All of their movies are watched by people of all ages. They have become icons in television, movies, posters, products, projects, and more. Pixar, specifically, produces more of the elaborate and entertaining films because of the fantsy aspect, humor, and delivery. They show what can be achieved with hard work, creativity, team work, and overall, imagination.

4. How did this Icon become important to you?
This icon became important to me when I actually realized the work they produced. Before, I watched all the Pixar movies and thought they were just straight from Disney. That had always confused me, since Disney released a lot of not-so-good movies. The Pixar crew never stuck to one theme, they made movies all over the place. They went from talking about about things from a bug's point of view in "Bug's Life" to a flying house in "Up". In all aspects of each movie, there was always a different perspective to look at, something that you may have never seen. To be able to experience that without actually experiencing it physically is one of the characteristics that makes Pixar stick out. From a simple, "There are monsters in my closet." they created a chilren's movie that tied together with that general theme but it expanded immensely. Different ideas of how children's screaming was used as an energy source was thrown in an even weirder world of monsters. When I watch a Pixar movie, I get this feeling that they have taken their time to make sure everything made sense.


Hayao Miyazaki
4. How did this Icon become important to you?
This person was one of the first animators I learned about. He is an inspiring icon because of the movies and animations he makes. They always had a twist of something in there. Most of his movies need to be decoded to really understand what's going on. That's why his work is so unique. At first glance, you may not understand the movie. Interestingly enough, you find yourself going back and watching it again to see what some things may symbolize since the movie itself is very abstract.

One of the lessons I picked up from him was finding new meaning to different things. It made me see a whole new perspective of expressing yourself, opinions, and ideas. One thing I like the most is that he has a variety of art he uses. In "Nausicaa of the Wind", he mixed in this very realistic creature with this cell shaded and flat picture. I thought it was unique to mix in the real life hardcore shading with a more cartoonish environment.

5. Who and what did this Icon inspire?
I found a lot of people who was inspired by Miyzaki.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/miyazaki/impact.html

Some of the people that is listed there are people who are inspired by Miyazaki's ideas, work ethic, etc. They have list of movies that he had a part in, movies he inspired, people who got ideas from him and made different animations, and more! He has influenced many people from the people who worked on "Toy Story" to Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the seminal Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. series.

6. Create your own question: What aspects of his work inspire you?
He has a remarkable capability of putting his own touch to movies but also categorizing them in age groups. For example, he can do children movies like "My Neighbor Totoro" but also do more serious movies like, "Princess Mononoke". I've already mentioned about how much I like the realistic and cartoonish take he has on some of his movies. Another thing that is inspiring is how he makes abstract movies work. Some abstract movies you go, "What is going on here..." but he makes them so, not only can you get an idea of what you are talking about, there is also wiggle room for different interpretations.


Tim Burton
2. Who and what was important to this Icon? Why?

There was a little information about the people who are important to Tim Burton, the people that inspired him. Tim Burton usually works with his close friend Johnny Depp, Danny Elfman, and Helena Bonham Carter. He did do a stop-motion movie called "Corpse Bride" which was the first of it's specific kind. He was inspired by Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion films when he was a child so I think that these people were pretty important to him.

4. How did this Icon become important to you?
This icon contributed to a lot of my interest in 3D animation. He does a lot of stop-motion films very well. To me, I really like the style of his work and the feel his movies give off. His style is 3d but it's very mysterious and rustic almost. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it looks like a refined version of playdough or well sculpted plastic. The feel his movies give off is weird, eerie, or quirky. Even so, for some reason, I can always find something funny about his movies. The aspects of movies really catch my attention as one of the styles that stands out. I mean, anyone can make a 3D movie with the software these days, but he had his own twist on 3D.

6. Create your own question: How does this person relate to you?
This person relates to me because of of the twist he puts on his movies. Most of the movies I've seen from him are really mysterious and sometimes scary. I am the same way. I can make a scary storyline but tie it into something that doesn't have to be hugely violent or really unappealing to watch. I strive to make storylines that haven't been done yet but is still interesting to watch. For example, I think him and his team did excellent in "Corpse Bride" because of the quality and smoothness. At the same time, they came up with a storyline that is a little creepy but made you go, "Woah, that's kind of cool." I don't know, I think his personality is interesting and he can bring that across in his movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment