Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blog #7: American Icons Final


Artistic Statement:
A paper. At the time, it was only used for schoolwork. If you told me that a single paper is where a Pixar movie sprung, I would have suggested you go sell your idea elsewhere. My encounter with art consisted of a beaming expression and overly unnecessary praise. You've probably guessed my reaction to the first Pixar animation I watched, Monster's Inc. It was truly a work of art. The background graphics never failed to pull me into an alternative universe, making sure they had switched my stagnant thoughts into ideas I could question. Their work spoke to me, but delivered the question "how in the world could I ever do what they do?" It seemed pretty hopeless since my explanation to anything unexplainable was, "It's magic." But everyone has to start somewhere, and this is where I did.

A sketch. It took some time until that blank piece of paper took hold of my pencil and used it to etch a door into my thoughts. By then, that single Pixar movie had already ventured into my collection of entertainment several times. They varied from small adventures in "Toy Story" to smaller ones in "Bug's Life" and even an environment change in "Finding Nemo". Eventually, my own ideas started drawing themselves out in a language I'd never seen before. It wasn't English, or Spanish, or even something verbal as far as I knew. It was a series of shapes and lines that blobbed together to make more shapes and lines, a never ending cycle I suppose. I admit, they started out non-digital and weren't shaded, but there was always room for improvement.

A critique. Being the subject of my new hobby, I looked up Pixar's website to learn exactly what jobs kept 700 employees busy. Despite the different aspects of each job, there was one thing that stood out to me that they all had in common. Each director, sketch artist, animator, colorist, coffee deliverer, everyone, had a direction. Even though they all made zigzags, went in circles, and strayed off course, they still met at the same point and brought all their ideas together. I was determined to find that direction, to place myself in the names of successful animators like Pixar. I found new inspirations and kept creating. Feedback kept coming, giving me new material to work with each time. "How can I improve?" was no longer a blank question -- it had become a question brimming with unattempted answers.

A better sketch. I practiced drawing day after day to improve flaws, respond to critiques and try every technique from my observation that worked. Improvement, inspiration, and input were words of motivation for me. Pixar had been there for the beginning and is still here now. I can speak to others how Pixar had spoken to me. Art has become a language where I can speak with happiness, sorrow, anger, and any emotion. Like music is to many, sports are to others, I am able to express myself without the usual, "Yeah I'm good." After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Citations:
"Interview with Pixar animator Guiherme Jacinto." Burlington Vermont News, Restaurants, more by Top Local Experts. 14 Sep. 2009 .

Remove-item-icon Edit-item-icon
"Pixar Animation Studios." Pixar Animation Studios. 14 Sep. 2009 .

Remove-item-icon Edit-item-icon
"Pixar University: Thinking Outside The Mouse." San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate. 14 Sep. 2009 .

Remove-item-icon Edit-item-icon
"stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site." stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site. 14 Sep. 2009 .

1 comment:

  1. You always seem to amazed me with your brilliant and creative mind. Your strong ability to be yourself makes you a special individual and in turn helps you to accomplished much more that you realized. I'm very proud of the your original work and I know you will go far. YOU ROCK!

    Love,
    Kaylee (if she can speak, this is what she would say)

    ReplyDelete