Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Blog #30: Nature Writing Comparison

1. Analyze specific qualities that make a person fit to successfully pursue extreme adventures in the natural world, but also could potentially lead to disaster.
I think one of the main qualities is confidence. I think people in both books knew what they wanted to do and their confidence got the best of them. I'd say that in "Into the Wild", Chris was more of a cocky person who was sort of like, "Yeah, man, this is going to go on so well that it's just going to be great." In the beginning of "Into thin Air", I got the impression that the person talking was more like, "We had the stuff, it was possible, but on that tragic day." I suppose it was more of a dramatic storytelling. Anyways, before I get too off topic, confidence, definitely. In both situations, there was this huge thought that went, "What the hell? Really?" and both people/groups still went on to accomplish it. It's sort of hard to explain, I hope all these examples give you my idea. Another thing that makes a person fit to go on extreme adventures is keeping in mind, at least understanding and being realistic, about what could happen to themselves. They call extreme adventures extreme because, well, it's extreme, there are dire consequences for any mistake. In reality, you have to have complete motivation and dedication to risk your life fulfilling this adventurous plan you have. I think after a while though, after you've done something for a while, you start getting sort of clumsy with it. Like Randy said, you've been doing something for so long and sometimes you just slip up on precautions.

2. Describe specific connections between both Into Thin Air and Into the Wild and your experiences in the many aspects of MSB.
Oh, I had the determination, definitely. I think one thing I experienced that can relate to this book is dedication. I remember when I was working lat nights on the calendar, I was like, "Sleep, just a few hours, just a little." but I knew I would fall asleep completely if I did that. Instead, I heated up a cup of tea and just kept at it. I planned on accomplishing a portion and I accomplished it before I went to bed. I think it is actually because I can't sleep well knowing that there is homework due, it just doesn't work that way for me. I think on a larger near death scale, Chris and the group who climbed Mt. Everest have felt the feeling of wanting to give up. I know that feeling of not being able to accomplish something, and it is a horrible feeling. In both novels, giving up didn't just mean giving up the journey, it meant giving up their life. In my case, I had to accomplish getting the stuff in the calendar done because I knew I could do it, but I also knew it would take long hours of working non-stop. In the end, whether they felt accomplished or not, I honestly think that is for them to decide. We can give our input on what we think of his actions, but it is really the person who did it that has the say in it. For example, some people started complaining about their MSB project and saying they had no time. I told them how long I had to dedicate myself to the calendar and they said it was easy when, in my opinion, no one could do that kind of job as well as I did. Haha, I guess this is where the cockiness comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment