Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Internship Photo Essay

Picture 1: As anyone who has spent a productive day in the workplace would know, there are basic resources in the office. At the start of a new day, Audrey looks at the material she is presented with. This picture represents that office sort of setting where there are randomly placed batteries that lay around and keys that haven’t met there partnered doors yet. However, this scene represents something else, something that goes beyond neatly stacked piles of post-its and blank labels that are yet to be used to categorize. This represents the things that go on in a company or, even on a wider scale, the company itself. There are organized things in a company, like the CD’s in the cylinder case. But there are also unorganized things like the jumbled pens and pencils that are usually carefully hidden towards the back of the shelf to avoid everyday eyes. Even so, they all prove their use when it comes time. Companies are resources and whichever way you choose to incorporate them in your work will determine their significance to your final product. So you see, I stood in front of this shelf of assorted items and thought to myself, “What do I use? There are so many options...” With my laptop bag on the right arm and pad of post-its and a stapler in my other hand, I returned to my desk to start working on my project.

Picture 2: Before my final project started, I chose the resources I’d be using to complete it and one of them was a calendar. When you start a project, assuming it will take more then a week, it is best to use a calendar and plan the process of your progress. This was something I chose to use because of its organization. In my case, I used an online calendar because my laptop was the main resource I had with me since the beginning of internship and it was the most effective for good reason. This online calendar posed as my guideline for the full 3 weeks I was at internship because it mapped out what I would be doing day in and day out. Since I was doing a marketing plan, the calculator in the picture was also an optional resource I chose to incorporate because I had to do quick calculations. These items were the ones I started with because I knew they would be supportive during the course of my project.

Picture 3: As random as it may be, the water cooler was perhaps the highlight of my working experience. As you need resources like paper to print things, humans need water to function. Do not underestimate the worth of hydrating your body—I assure you it will thank you. The water cooler, aside from the occasional hums, sat discreetly next to the door and every once in a while, someone would push back their chair, pick themselves up, and wobble towards the water cooler for a refreshing cup of cold water. At least, that was the common experience around the office. Just the thought of having fresh cold water at your mercy any time of the day gave ease and tranquility to both the work environment and yourself.

Picture 4: This picture may look like it has little relevance, but in fact, it advertises one of the most important resources I used. On the outside, it may look like a little box with a string going through it, but it serves the purpose of refueling. Just as your body gets tired of working, so does the technology you use. My computer was a trooper and had to withstand a minimum of 4 hours of work a day. Unfortunately, water isn’t exactly hydrate-friendly to technology and if I were to try to feed it water, it probably would spark and burst into flames soon after. I took a picture of my laptop charger because it shows that even resources need resources. My internship needed me, I needed my laptop, and my laptop needed the charger. This is the connection between the users and the used—person and resource. Through this active incorporation of resources, I could work efficiently and keep my mentor and my laptop happy.

Picture 5: This picture represents the outcome of time, resources, and creativity. In the previous pictures, I showed the different relations that resources had and that there are many different resources that are available. As I had said before, the shelf of office materials is like an overall company. When resources are meshed together and work together, the company grows as a whole. I started out with a lone laptop and charger. I was provided with more resources like the water cooler, the calculator, the calendar, and even some I didn’t mention like the phones and the past paperwork. With the help of these items, I developed a product that is helpful to the company, organized for public viewing, and easy to understand for my mentor Christine and the general manager Israel. Resources are everything, whether you have a grainy laptop camera you use to document work or a ten thousand dollar camera you use to document the same work. Perhaps you don’t have the best resources, like pens that keep holding back ink, discolored papers, or stickies that have lost their ability to stay on a wall, but it all depends on how you use them. No matter how horrible, there is always a way to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment